Everything you need to know to plan your school trip to our attractions, including facilities, lunch spaces, risk assessments and how to find us can be found on our handy teachers’ guides:
JORVIK Viking Centre
- JORVIK Teachers Guide (PDF, 1 MB)
- JORVIK Risk Assessment (PDF, 3 MB)
- JORVIK Workshop Risk Assessment (PDF, 2MB)
- DIG Teachers Guide (PDF, 1 MB)
- DIG Risk Assessment (PDF, 2 MB)
- DIG Workshop Risk Assessment (PDF, 2 MB)
Attraction Visit Prices
York Archaeology is proud to offer educational visits to three of our attractions in York: JORVIK Viking Centre, DIG: An Archaeological Adventure, and Barley Hall. If you wish to visit more than one attraction, you can save on admission costs with our joint attraction tickets.
*One teacher free with every 6 child places booked.
**Schools do not have to visit all three attractions on the same day.
Prices may be subject to change. Please contact our Reservations team to confirm prices at the time of booking.
Workshops are charged in addition to attractions admission.
All workshops cost £2 per child, with teachers attending free.
Please note that the workshop price grants admission to the classrooms only at DIG or Barley Hall.
- In advance: over the phone with our Reservations team
- On arrival: by cash, card or cheque
- By invoice: after your visit (UK addresses only)
How to Book
1. Choose the elements you want to include in your attractions visit and contact our Reservations team to make an enquiry.
Make sure you give us your preferred dates and times of your visit ready to check for availability. Please also let us know how many and the age of your pupils. If you have any pupils with special education needs, please let us know at the point of enquiry so we can meet your requirements.
Please note: We recommend that all teachers/administrators making a booking enquiry provide at least six weeks’ notice in advance of your preferred date. Although we always do our best to accommodate your group’s requirements, you may find booking enquiries that fall under this six-week threshold do not have appropriate visit time slots available for your required dates.
3. Our Reservations team will offer you a schedule incorporating all the elements you need for a successful day.
Once our Reservations team offers you a schedule you wish to accept, we are grateful if you can confirm your acceptance in writing within three working days to guarantee that the offered schedule is available.
You will then be provided with a confirmation form and the time slots for your itinerary will be booked on our system – please have full contact details for your school/organisation available at this point.
No payment will be taken at this time unless you wish to pay in advance.
4. Check through your confirmation paperwork to ensure the details are correct and provide us with any additional information about your group.
Return the paperwork via email to [email protected] or post it to us: Reservations Department, JORVIK Viking Centre, 19 Coppergate Walk, York, YO1 9WT.
5. Ask our Reservations team to organise a teacher familiarisation visit to allow you and your colleagues to tour the attractions free of charge.
Our team will be happy to answer any questions you might have about your trip and you can familiarise yourself with the locations of our workshops and facilities.